Empower Projects (Malawi) is a sustainable development organisation based in Lilongwe and aligned with Empower Projects based in Australia. At Empower, we know that our purpose is to facilitate profound community-driven change, to create enabling conditions for rural communities in Malawi to aspire beyond mere survival. A responsibility to create and invest in holistic platforms through which communities can collaborate, mobilize their capabilities and chart their own journeys towards self-reliance with both pride and dignity.
To further our mission, we are recruiting a Cooperative Development Officer. The Cooperative Development Officer will be in charge of managing and developing cooperatives as well as looking after the development of the Cooperative’s members working with all the various components of ‘Capacity Building for Cooperatives Development’ Project.
- Implementation of the adequate training programme
- Conducting audits of the partner cooperatives in coordination with the Accountant.
- Define, the necessary training programs with partner cooperatives
- Link with the suitable organisations to implement the programs and monitor
- Establish an induction program for new cooperatives and new future members of the cooperatives
- Facilitate trainings and use a reporting tool to measure the success of the programs
- Establish a monthly report for each partner cooperative
- Training curriculum for each stage of the cooperative
- Programmes implementations
- Establish strong partnership with organisations
- Evaluation tools
- Reporting tools
- Manage the implantation phase
- Report on the spending and applications
- Events Organisation
- Promote Cooperatives Day
- Explore and advise income generating activities for the partner cooperatives
- Explore funding for cooperatives support which include writing and developing funding proposals
- Any other duties assigned by the Executive Director from time to time.
- Interview and write success stories
- Write progress reports both internally and for external sharing
- 2 to 3 years as a programme coordinator
- Experience in community development work
- Experience in Programme implementation
- Prepared for frequent travel
- Must be able to communicate fluently in English and Chichewa
- Valid and unendorsed Driver's license
- Excel, Word, and PowerPoint skills
- Have competent report writing abilities
- Passionate about social and economic sustainable development
- Be able to work independently as well as within a team environment
- A general understanding of entrepreneurship / small business development would be an advantage
Key responsibilities included;
- Plan, monitor and supervise cooperative activities
- Educate and mobilize community on cooperative
- Train and motivate communities and report activities to Executive Director
- Plan and design training manuals and operation forms for cooperatives
- Communicate and cooperate with local authorities
- Work with cooperatives with 400 to 700 members to improve operations, business and marketing
Qualifications and skills
- The candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in agriculture, Cooperative Development, Community Development, Business and management
- At least 1 year of experience in related field
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in speaking and writing both English and Chichewa
- Computer literate with good knowledge of MS office (Word, Excel, Power point)
- Skills in cooperatives/small groups’ management are preferred.
A competitive package shall be given to the successful candidate which include medical insurance and pension.
To Apply please address your application to:
The Executive Director
Empower Projects (Malawi)
Please make sure that your Cover Letter and CV are one document saved as a PDF. Email applications only will be acceptable: No hand Deliveries PLEASE.
Indicate the Job Title in the Email Heading.
Closing date for application is 19 January, 2018
Empower Malawi is an equal opportunity employer. Everyone regardless of their status is encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated to.
Comment on advertised Job
Employment Type: Full-time
Job deadline: 19th January, 2018
Company: Empower Projects (Malawi)
Log in to apply