LOCATION- Lilongwe with travel to Mangochi and Blantyre
START DATE — 1 April 2018
Background and Purpose
Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest German non-governmental organisations in the area of development co-operation and emergency relief. Primarily in co-operation with local partner organisations, its task is to contribute to improvement in the nutritional and income basis for the low-income populations in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Malawi continuously since 2013. Sector focus is on WASH, Food and Nutrition security, Livelihoods and when necessary, Emergency response.
The Welthungerhilfe Country Office seeks a Partner Finance Officer who works under the supervision of the Finance Manager to coordinate and ensure that grants compliance by partners is consistent with Welthungerhilfe systems and donor reporting requirements.
Duties and responsibilities
- Works directly with projects to coordinate support and compliance matters with WHH partners in Malawi (i.e. collect capacity development needs and develop capacity building plan),
- Provide training/technical assistance to WHH implementing partners in financial management and help them develop proper documentation, forms and systems to comply with donor procedures and rules;
- Serves as a resource person to support developing financial proposals to donors
- Provides feedback during regular/quarterly monitoring meetings to projects on the performance of partner organisations
- Examines the partner’s accounting system on regular basis if it is compliant with GAAP
- Reviews partner financial reports and vouchers monthly and reconcile the reported income and expenditure with the partner accounting software.
- Prepares annual financial statements for external purposes and donor financial reports
- Assesses partner organisations according to WHH partner assessment format
- Support the preparation of partnership agreements and cost and financing plans for new contracts and amendments according to WHH standards
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- University Degree in Accounting or equivalent
- Current ICAM registration certificate
- At least two years of relevant professional experience in the Finance field,
- Proven record of experience in working with civil society partners in an NGO setup is essential
- Excellent facilitation skills and experience with different participatory training methods
- Ability to understand, analyse and interpret donor financial reporting guidelines
- Ability to present reports in a concise manner to management, Head of Projects and partner organisations
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects/ tasks concurrently under deadline pressure and changing priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Appreciation of financial analysis, financial reporting, cash flow analysis, budget development, and forecasting
- Proficiency in MS Office, financial software applications and reporting packages
- Willingness to travel to the organisation’s project areas
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team environment
If you feel that you are the person that we are looking for, we are offering you the opportunity to work in an exceptionally engaged team with a high level of responsibility.
Indicate your anticipated basic salary (thus excluding medical aid and pension benefit)
Please send a covering letter and CV by email, including the job title in the subject line, by 19 March 2018 to:
Welthungerhilfe is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Welthungerhilfe does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Comment on advertised Job