Start date: 01 September 2018, or as soon as possible
Contract type: Fixed term
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to join our dynamic team as the Program Assistant in Malawi. You will support the Country Director and contribute to the effective delivery of the USAID Southern Africa Political Parties and Dialogue Programme (SAPP&D). You will have the opportunity to be highly involved on a number of different aspects of the organization: event planning, communications, interaction with partners, and more.
The position is on a fixed term basis until the end of the program in September 2020.
Administrative/ Program management:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans
- Provide support to the CoP and Country Director in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, hotel reservations, etc)
- Undertake relevant research and political analysis to inform the project activities and keep the program up to date on the political situation
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the programme activities
- Be able to draft reports of project and minutes of related meetings
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records
- Manage Office calendars for external and internal meetings
Financial management :
- Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions
- Prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis
- In accordance with the procurement policy, arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services for the country office
- Create and manage purchase requisitions
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated USAID procedures
- University Degree in social sciences, political science, public administration or other related field.
Skills and Experience
- At least 4 years of experience in project management and administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, or other substantive area is required.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Extensive experience in organizing events, workshops, meetings and strategic planning exercises
- Ability to multi task and work flexible hours
- Ability to demonstrate political nonpartisanship and possess a fair knowledge and understanding of politics/ political parties in Southern Africa.
- Possess analytical skills
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Keen attention to detail and an aptitude for problem solving
- Able to proactively address potential issues of relevance to the program and the organization
- Collaborative working style and team-player attitude
- Able to work independently with little supervision
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Able to thrive in a high-volume, deadline-driven work environment
Democracy Works seeks to ensure that all qualified people have an equal opportunity to obtain a position and that those who have been discriminated against unfairly in the past are treated in accordance with the legal obligations imposed by the country in which employment is taking place as well as the affirmative principles of the organization.
- Preferred candidate must be a citizen of Malawi, or in possession of a valid work permit; and must be in possession of a valid driver’s license within the country or SADC region.
- The working language of all DWF offices is English.
DWF will consider all applications submitted prior the advertised close date.
Submission deadline: 16 August 2018. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the position title in the subject line of your email. Applications must consist of a one-page motivation letter and a CV with at least three contactable references and their email addresses.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interviews. If you have not heard from us within two (2) weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Comment on advertised Job
Employment Type: Contractual
Job deadline: 16th August, 2018
Company: Democracy Works Foundation
Log in to apply