Resource Type: National Recruited Staff (NRS)
Duty Post: Lilongwe
Closing date: 03/20/2018
This position will be based in Lilongwe and will report to the Project Manager. The principal tasks and responsibilities comprise the following:
The key responsibilities:
- Establish study plots of potato and sweet potato technologies at Rural Training Centers (RTCs) and outreach locations.
- Contribute to development, implementation and evaluation of joint technology packages at study plots together with other CGIAR Center staff.
- Develop training materials, protocols and technical content on potato and sweet potato technologies.
- Train Master Trainers at the RTCs in planting material multiplication and in on-farm experimentation from protocols, participating in land preparation, plot layout, planting, crop management, soil fertility management, harvest, post-harvest handling, data collection and the participatory technology evaluation.
- Conduct selected follow-up coaching sessions for master trainers based on specific demand.
- Conduct participatory technology evaluations to assess technology adaptation needs.
- Provide advisory-services to selected producers and/or enterprises.
- Contribute to the development of training packages for input and technology suppliers, and enable farmer access to inputs for restoration of soil fertility and land resources.
- Train and provide technical support to multipliers of planting material for potato and sweet potato in the KULIMA districts in collaboration with the Seed Services Unit.
- MSc. in Agronomy, Crop science, Seed science.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with public and/or private organizations in seed systems or agronomy.
- Experience working with potato, sweet potato and/or other vegetative propagated crops.
- Experience in designing and conducting and analysis of on-farm agronomic experiments.
- Experience with participatory evaluation of new technologies, innovations with farmers.
- Experience in the development of high-quality training materials
- Strong experience and skills in facilitating trainings that combine theory and practice.
- Knowledge of tissue culture, pre-basic, basic, certified and quality declared seed production and seed inspection procedures
- Strong planning skills
- Strong analytical skills/ ICT skills, especially Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Have demonstrated success in working with multi-disciplinary teams and partnerships
- Experience in communicating with both senior and field staff of government, NGO and private sector organizations providing agricultural services
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Willingness to spend considerable time working under field conditions
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English and Chichewa
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
Conditions: This position is local and is open to Malawian Citizens ONLY. The employment contract will be for an initial 1 year term with three months’ probation period and with the possibility of renewal subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
TO APPLY CLICK HERE
Comment on advertised Job
Employment Type: Full-time
Job deadline: 20th March, 2018
Company: International Potato Center
Log in to apply