Post: Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Duty Station: Lilongwe, Malawi
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Latent tuberculosis (TB) infection (LTBI) is the seed bed for developing TB disease and continued transmission. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimated in 1999 that one third of the world’s population is latently infected with TB. WHO policy to give at least six months of isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) to people living with HIV (PLWHIV) and child contacts has existed since 1993, yet the uptake of IPT in high burden countries remains poor. A short-course regimen of isoniazid and rifapentine weekly for three months (3HP) is now available. 3HP is associated with less toxicity, better adherence and similar efficacy to IPT and may be logistically easier for programs to scale up. WHO has included scaling up TB preventive therapy, particularly short-course regimens, in its End TB strategy. Implementation of 3HP will meet the same fate as IPT unless existing barriers to its supply, adoption, demand and delivery are removed.
KNCV leads the implementation of the Unitaid funded IMPAACT4TB project in Malawi. KNCV is part of the IMPAACT4TB consortium, led by the Aurum Institute, which leads the IMPAACT4TB project globally in 12 countries. The IMPAACT4TB project aims to implement and accelerate 3HP across these 12 countries.
Position in the organization
The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will lead and provide oversight of monitoring and evaluation related activities of IMPAACT4TB project. He/she will report directly to the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager while maintaining close communication and coordination with the headquarters’ office KNCV Monitoring & Evaluation Lead.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide field technical support on monitoring and evaluation and knowledge management;
- Assist the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager in the preparation of work plans/selection of indicators and annual implementation plans with a view towards meeting the M & E requirements of IMPAACT4TB;
- Collect, report and analyze information on the IMPAACT4TB country project activities;
- Train, supervise, and oversee entry of enhanced M & E data from the two sentinel sites; and ensure proper capture into the REDCap database;
- Responsible for project data and REDCap database management;
- Train relevant health care workers with regards to data capture procedures and management;
- Ensure timely and complete reporting from field implemented activities in accordance with approved reporting formats;
- Support the data extraction of project relevant routine TB surveillance data at all project sites;
- Compile data and prepare monthly progress reports in line with the required formats;
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the data collection and management system and propose solutions
- Support data compilation and preparation of quarterly progress reports, the annual project report, and ad-hoc technical reports as required by KNCV and/or the IMPAACT4TB consortium members, in line with the required formats;
- Collect data for IMPAACT4TB annual M & E plan and use that data to improve project performance;
- Perform regular supportive supervision visits to safeguard the quality of data collected by the Field Data Collectors and to verify the accuracy of reported data;
- Support the compilation of IMPAACT4TB information on lessons learned and success stories;
- Coordinate activities with and report progress to the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager and the KNCV HQ M&E Lead and M&E Junior Assistant on a weekly basis;
- Support the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager to ensure that data queries from the IMPAACT4TB consortium and other stakeholders are addressed in an accurate and timely manner;
- Assist the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager on decision-making on resource allocation based on the priorities and performance of the project.
- Degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Project Management, Administration, Information Management or other relevant academic background
- A diploma in any health-related field such as Social Science, public health, statistics or epidemiology with a four-year experience in recording, reporting and other monitoring and evaluation activities will be an added advantage.
- At least 4 years of Monitoring and Evaluation experience, preferably with patient-based data;
- Hands on experience in TB surveillance and or study data collection is an advantage;
- Up to date knowledge of TB diagnosis and care;
- Experience in a non-governmental or donor funded project is an added advantage;
- Capacity to produce high quality briefs and detailed performance reports;
- Good level of proficiency in Window Excel, MS Access, REDCap, Epi-info and quantitative analysis;
- Ability to design M & E tools, surveys, surveillance systems and evaluations;
- Experience in project/program management desired.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Chichewa;
- Demonstrated ability to train and build capacity of others;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with a demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in a national and international team.
What do we offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own HR Manual.
Application and Information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, before 30 October 2019.
Applications can only be made on their website by CLICKING HERE.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.